Tuesday, September 21, 2010

staining the cedar.

So yesterday as planned I headed back to Mclendon's to see what I could do about this semi-solid stain that I wasn't super excited about. The guy showed me some options - none of which I liked. I really liked the colour of the stain I had gotten but it was just too opaque so could we try a semi-transparent? So he grabbed that and suggested only putting in half the colorant. Agreed. We tested it on some shakes I had brought in and I liked it -

And also as planned tonight I set out to stain the shakes. It was pretty easy. Took maybe two hours. As I was brushing I leaned back every now and then to take a look at how it was coming. And smiled to myself -

I loved it. It was as close to exactly what I had in mind as I think is possible.


I wrapped up and took a look at it from a bit further back -


I was of course hesitant to stain the beautiful cedar the way it was naturally but that was a fleeting fear. Yes - I really like it. Now I can head off to Colorado to visit Jeff and come back and hope for a few more days of nice weather to finish up the painting that is left.

No comments:

Post a Comment