Monday, January 31, 2011

jack and jill.

OK. So today it is official. Well, sort of.

Official in that I officially cleared out this bathroom to prepare it for a complete facelift. I have been planning this for three years. Or something like that. I remember tearing down the wallpaper almost right after moving in cos, well, I have a problem with any and all wallpaper. Then I ripped out the ugly tile floor. And part of the crap tub surround that whoever had built.

Unfortunately I do not have a photo of the hideous mirrors gracing the wall. Or the just-as-hideous wallpaper (although you can see a small scrap of it in the pic below - it's special). But I have this shot taken after I finished ripping out the floor -

So after finishing up the structured wiring - uhh, for now - I officially cleared the rest of the crap out of here today. And this then - this is the official 'before' shot -

I'll shoot this same angle as the remodel progresses to show the change.

And now it is ready for final demolition which will include completely gutting the remaining stuff, tearing out the three ugly glass windows next to the tub and the gross window above that. I will use the siding I ripped off from above the porch this past summer before I hung cedar shakes to fill the gap where the three ugly glass things are and order a new custom wood-clad awning privacy window about the same size as the one that's there above them now.

Last weekend we toted it up to Seattle after work like we do most Fridays for a night on the town - uhh, starting with Rejuvenation then onto Tiles 4 Less (well, not really, since I priced subway tile at Lowe's for roughly a fourth of the price per square foot than Tiles 4 Less was advertising ... ) where I officially bought the first stuff for the remodel -


Door knobs for the 5-panel solid fir shaker slabs I picked up so cheap years ago in anticipation and that I will be painting a beautiful, brilliant white. They are oil-rubbed bronze on each bedroom side and polished chrome like the rest of what all the hardware and fixtures will be on the bath side. Also some granite tile for the jetted tub deck I will be custom building. Now I just need to figure out how I'll work out the edge to meet the paneling I am going to build.

So - the official list - since this is such an official post -

- new Kohler Archer jetted tub, pedestal sink and toilet (same as other bath - minus the jetted tub since for that one I only installed a shower stall)
- new Kohler Memoirs Stately sink faucet, tub deckmount faucet and shower faucet (same as other bath)
- 1" hexagonal tile floor with heating element (on thermostat) - haven't tracked down the tile yet but NTS - check this place out in Kent
- Rejuvenation Arts & Crafts collection lighting - including two wall sconces and a wall fixture for above the medicine cabinet (all on dimmers of course)
- subway tile on all walls
- tiled shower surround
- new wood-clad awning window in shower stall
- lighting in shower (also on a dimmer)
- walls painted Benjamin Moore Historic Collection HC-105 Rockport Grey (like this)
- framing walls to fit the jetted tub with custom paneling
- trim around shower stall, window and doors all matching (casing/fillet/crown pediment) - to fit the rest of the house
- crown molding like this that will eventually be in every room
- all new Baldwin Stonegate series fixtures (towel bars, glass shelves etc. uhh - again - like I used in the other bath - what can I say, I like things to be consistent ... )
- miscellaneous hardware probably from Rejuvenation, new ceiling fan, nice towels and rugs from Restoration Hardware or something like that, etc. etc.


I think that's most of it. I think. I've got a list somewhere. And sketches. Lots of sketches for electrical, plumbing, the trim etc.

Time to get to work.

First up - after demo-ing the rest of the stuff and tearing out the remaining lath and plaster (uhh, including the ceiling - yea!) ... rough-in the plumbing (going to use PEX again like I did in the other bath of course - that stuff rocks) and electrical before buying the tub and the window (with my tax refund - excellent) and then starting the framing.


--- and note - we watched 'Chaos Theory' last night which was pretty cool and I absolutely loved some of the features of their house - the paneling, doors, paint colours ...

No comments:

Post a Comment