Sunday, August 21, 2016

our bathroom [part 2 of... many].

Another good day with Scott's help.

Started off getting coffee at Anthem, then taking Stuart to the dump to unload him, then to Home Depot for lumber, 12/2 cable (for the new circuits I'll run for the whirlpool tub), shims, window wrap, and a few other things. It was a good morning. Then it was time to get to work.



In pretty short order, we got the window framing done -


We ended up doing a couple of extra things - like, I ripped down a scrap 2x4 to extend the new framing (and to what we'd nail the window fins) to align with the sub-siding (3/4" depth), as well as added some scrap 1x to the bottom section - which I'll attach scrap siding from when I tore it out from the porch gable years ago (I knew I was going to need siding for when I did this window).

One cool thing... we needed to frame in 2" on each side, and 2x4 lumber of course is only 1-1/2" deep. So I needed some 1/2" plywood or something on each side. I went to the garage and low and behold... I had saved the back piece of plywood from the terrible, terrible vanity that we ripped out yesterday, and it was 1/2" thick. So I ripped it down 3-1/2" wide and - boom! - done.

Then we wrapped the lower section siding below the window -


Once the window was framed - but before we installed it - we did some initial framing. I'm framing in the new tub, but unfortunately - because of a floor joist that is in the way of the plumbing - it can't be centered. It's not the end of the world - just not how I would have chosen to do it. I possibly could have drilled a hole into the joist and ran the drain through it in order to center the tub, but this way we have enough room on the one side to build and install some built-in shelves for towels and stuff.

We roughed-in the framing to see how it would fit -


That hole in what is the basement ceiling under the floor, well, I ripped years ago to run that network cable that I mentioned yesterday - shown here - when I was putting up the sheetrock in my bedroom. Scott pointed out that the shutoff valves for the shower are going to be buried in the wall (we were sitting on the dusty floor trying to think of every scenario - picturing the room with finished walls - when he came to that realization). So I'll need to cut another hole in the ceiling in the next stud cavity over in order to cut off the copper supply lines, insert in shutoff valves, and then run the PEX up into the wall we're building from there (and install a wall access panel on the ceiling of the basement).


This is the side we'll have enough room to build some built-in cabinets. Oh, and I'll need a panel to access the outlet I'm going to be wiring for the tub as well, which I'll likely put on that stud in the center of the photo.

Once everything seemed ok, we nailed the framing together outside in the driveway -


Then handed them through the open gash in the house -


And in short order, the first wall was up -


Meanwhile, I had helped K hang some laundry on the line in the backyard, which I caught blowing in the breeze that has finally come to cool things down some (the windchimes by the backdoor are quietly singing at the moment, as the neighborhood quiets down for the night) -


And the sun dipped lower in the sky, behind the house out back -


The last thing we did before sitting down to an amazing quiche that K and her mom had baked for everyone was install the window -


And I got a quick shot before it was too dark of our work this weekend...


Pretty cool. Lots more to do, I know. But still, pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment