Sunday, October 31, 2010

stairs finally finished.

Yea. I can't remember when I tore out the stairs but it was a while ago. Probably July. So it'll be nice to have some again. No more having to leap up onto the front porch. That was getting old.

So it was pouring down rain today. A guy walking past on the sidewalk said 'just in time for Halloween huh?' and I replied gotta get it done. Started in the garage putting the stringers together -

That took a bit but wasn't bad. Then I had to attach them to the porch. The 2x6 that attached to the porch that then the stringers attached to was tricky - I forgot that they hung pretty low on the porch trim so I figured out drilling at a 30ยบ angle would get the screws up in place -


I predrilled them so that then I could just drive them into the porch trim. Checked the level before doing so -


Then drilled in the pocket hole screws to attach the middle stringer that I added (wasn't on the original stairs - they only had two). Then I was finally able to put the assembled stairs on - check for level lengthwise -

and front-to-back -

All was good. And level. So screwed it in to the 2x6. Then it was just a matter of screwing in all the treads -

And wallah - front stairs again -

Yea!

And just for fun this is what they looked like with the original bent/warped/unlevel stairs after I had finished building the first porch railing way back when -

I painted the ends of the 2x6 treads today - but now it's raining so I'll probably have to repaint. Oh well.

Oh, and one funny thing - I was searching around McLendons today looking for something to spend their 50% promo coupon on when I came across an aisle that had a huge assortment of drawer storage things!

I looked at a few stores but couldn't find anything - been wanting something like this to store all my assorted screws and nails and stuff instead of in the boxes they come in stacked all on top of each other. Good times.

Now ... all I need to do is figure out what to do about the mail slot. Build one to fit the one I got from Rejuvenation or just return it and seal it up for good using a piece of siding I had ripped off above the porch ...

And then - take a picture like the one I took so long ago and Photoshopped - except this one won't have any Photoshop (well, maybe I'll 'Shop the front door in cos I haven't replaced that yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment