Monday, July 11, 2016

garden bed[s].

I've been promising my wife garden beds for a while now. So after spending last weekend in on-again-off-again weather in the mountains - knowing this weekend called for rain - we stayed home to be productive, wiring the garage lights and then - building garden beds.

It started a few weeks ago when we scoped out the southside yard that we knew would be a perfect spot for beds - a) cos the grass pretty much fried last summer and we didn't feel like keeping it and b) cos it gets lots of sun. Oh, and I had a bunch of cedar leftover because I had miscalculated when I built the fence - but it came in handy for these beds. I threw together a quick design, then went to work notching all the ends on the table saw - enough for four beds.


A quick test for squareness and to see if this design would work -


(The 4x4 posts were from back behind the garage - they've been there since I moved in, so I finally found a use for them... )

Then we borrowed my father-in-law's rototiller to dig up half the side yard - the thing just loved to dig, it was like a pup on steroids. Oh, and his posthole digger. Father-in-laws can be a good thing to have around, particularly the handy variety like mine happens to be. K turned the dirt, and I got to work building the thing.


Had to make sure it was level...



It went together really easily. The part that almost took longer was digging dirt from our dirtpile that we made when we cleared the space for the patio. We also sifted dirt from our compost pile using an old screen -



Finally, as it started to rain, K did what she's probably been dying to do... plant the seedlings we picked up at the Farmer's Market in town the day before...


And boom. Done. I just need more of those little plastic 4" caps, and I'll also likely stain it to match the fence (the skinny plank dark, the fat plank light).


No comments:

Post a Comment