Friday, August 27, 2010

historic colour schemes.

So totally random every now and then I check comments to my comments on Flickr. And I noticed today that this photo of Daily Bungalow's came up with a new comment. It's a colour scheme from a 1916 Arts & Crafts kit catalog (yes, the whole idea of Arts & Crafts houses is that you would buy the kit and, well, build the house yourself).

And from that photo she's put up links to photos of houses gathered together in varying exterior color schemes. And mentions that you should have at least three colors for your palette. Check. And it turns out the green I randomly chose (albeit from the Benjamin Moore Historic Collection palette as I've mentioned in the past) is pretty close to the color at the bottom of the second (from left) column.

Hmm. Well, just saying. Seems I've chosen ... wisely.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are thinking of the Sears home kits. My grandfather built one. "The American Arts and Crafts movement shared the British movement's reform philosophy, encouraging originality, simplicity of form, local natural materials, and the visibility of handicraft." "Sears Catalog Homes (sold under the Sears Modern Homes name) were catalog and kit houses sold primarily through mail order by Sears, Roebuck and Company, an American retailer. Sears reported that more than 70,000 of these homes were sold in North America between 1908 and 1940.[1] More than 370 different home designs in a wide range of architectural styles and sizes were offered over the program's 33-year history." (Wikipedia)

    ReplyDelete