Saturday, August 20, 2016

our bathroom [part 1 of... many].

Today was A Big Day. It's always a big day when you tear a hole in your house. But today was A Big Day for another reason... ten years after moving into this house, I'm finally - we're finally now - remodeling the last room... our bathroom.

I posted once about it here. That was five-and-a-half years ago.

Since this post will serve as The Official history, here's a photo from when we first moved in -


Umm. Holy tile almighty. And the wallpaper... good God, the wallpaper. And the mirror... good God, the mirror. Just... oh my.

So I ripped out the tile shortly after that photo was taken -


I actually have no idea why. I ended up putting down some cardboard cos the floor without the tile was really dusty. I probably should've just kept the ugly tile. Anyway...

At some point, mostly due to proximity and the thought of running Cat-5 network cable to every corner of the house was a little daunting, it became the server room -


Makes sense. I mean, putting a printer in the bathtub. Yep, totally.

But I did eventually move all the network stuff (router, switches, printer, server) down to the basement, and wired the entire house for networking (here and here). Then the bathroom pretty much looked like this -






Pretty sweet. We actually started to use it... I even wired that little Ikea lamp into the switch next to the door so we could flick it on and off. And heck, hung up a tiny hand mirror from a nail in the wall. Every once in a while, use the bathtub (after cleaning out any spiders and washing them down the plughole).

Until today.

This morning it looked like this -


Tonight... it looked like this -


And in between, K's dad and I (and J, and K made coffee!) did a bunch of stuff -



Tomorrow bright and early we'll be taking Stuart up to the dump (this is pretty much all the lath and plaster walls) -


And frame in the new window that's been sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks -


Then, more framing... for the new whirlpool tub. Then electrical, for new lights, the tub, the fan, and the heated floor. Then, well - yeah... lots more stuff. But now we've begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment