Wednesday, April 14, 2010

bed part two.

Cutting and start assembling ...

So first things first - carefully read the plans again along with all the additional notes I had made with my changes and then start cutting into the pile of lumber in my garage. This took probably a little over an hour or so and then I had lots of smaller stacks of lumber in my garage -

Really, it only took that long because of a little tip I came across (coincidentally) reading a TOH article online just the other week: install a blocker when cutting multiple pieces of wood the same length like this -

That way, when cutting you can just shove them up against it and cut - identical length, every time. No measuring. Like in the photo above - for the spacers along the tops and bottoms of the headboard and footboard. I also used it for the vertical slats. Worked awesome.

Then I had to figure out how to notch the 2x4s (one of my modifications) so they would bring the siderails out a bit further on the posts. Hmm, what about routing it? I asked myself. So I broke out the router I bought at a garage sale in Tacoma a couple years ago along with a router table I also got at a garage sale to see if it would work.

It worked perfectly - I routed across the 2x4 about 3/4" deep and 3/8" from the edge, using a speed square as a guide. Then just used a chisel to perfectly cut away the notch on the end to complete it. I have to say, sometimes I totally surprise myself - in that this actually worked and fit the length of the 1x6" board I cut perfectly.

And the final result then looks something like this -

Instead of the 1x6 siderail coming to the inside edge of the post.

OK, after patting myself on the back for that little success it was time to begin assembling the headboard and footboard. My goal is to not have to cover up any screw holes (or even nails) so I am using just glue to piece together the headboard and footboard. So first I had to lay it out -

Using a 2x4 as a post to butt the left side up against, and what would be the toprail to butt the top pieces up against, I went to work.

Then I had to glue. And clamp. Luckily the glue said it set in thirty minutes, cos with only four clamps I could only do one side at a time (and the headboard and footboard each took four turns of glueing). Of course a couple days after doing this I was at a local woodworking shop and found a score on four more clamps so I'll be able to work twice as fast glueing from now on. Sweet. Really, it is.

So once all the glue was dry both of them seemed really quite solid. The trouble was, hmm, how to attach them to the posts without using screws. Then it hit me (and again - totally nothing the plan from knockoffwood mentioned). Since I was so successful with the router earlier, I thought - what if I routed out the top of the post on the inside and used a piece of 1x4/1x6 (top/bottom of each) that stuck out longer than the 1/2x4/1x2x6 pieces and basically create a mortise and tenon joint? Duh!

Except ... this idea came to me after all the glue had set, and now I'm not sure if I'll be able to take out the little pieces I put on each end. If not, I can route out a smaller section and use a biscuit joint so I'm not too worried. And yeah - either one will mean no screws!

So next step - sanding and rough assembly. I really am having a blast building this, and I think perhaps that furniture building may become a bit of a habit. Until something goes horribly wrong, of course ...

No comments:

Post a Comment