Monday, April 19, 2010

bed part three.

Further assembling ...

This weekend - much to do (besides bed building). But Sunday afternoon, after lots of weeding, I was able to finally get back to it. Had to do some routing to fit the biscuit joints for the posts and headboard and footboard. On Saturday I got some new bits along with an adjustable guide that just happened to fit my garage-sale router from a few years back. Both the new bit (the one that came with the router burnt the wood) and the guide were priceless - particularly, the guide. So routing out the holes on the posts was pretty easy, but I had to figure out a way to route the ends of the headboard and footboard.

What I ended up doing was to lay down a 2x4 on the garage floor to rest the headboard, then clamped it to my workbench.

Then just took the router along it after drilling with a 1/4" bit (since my router is not a plunge-type).


And wallah - was able to insert a 1/4" biscuit (just some window stop trim I picked up at the Depot) -

So the final joint when assembled looks like this -

No screws. And when glued I think it will be pretty strong. Now I just need to do the same thing for the two siderails so they can fit into the posts as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment